Jesse speaks to us about the benefits of interval training, and gives specific guidance on how to do it. At points he gets a bit geeky with the science behind it, but it is very informative. Thanks Jesse!
Here are a few key takeaways:
- Shorter, more intense runs give more benefits than longer, moderate runs
- Example intervals are 2 minutes slow/1 minute fast or 1 minute slow/30 seconds fast. Total duration should be 20-30 minutes; do it twice a week
- Excess Post-exercise Oxygen Consumption (EPOC) allows you to burn calories even after your run
- Improves VO2 max, which is your muscles’ ability to consume oxygen
- You’re a runner, not a jogger. You were born to run!